ZA06 - Kruger National Park


   
After the conclusion of the Second AngloBoer War at the beginning of the twentieth century, the British briefly gained control of the Transvaal and the area which had recently been designated as the Sabi Game Reserve. In July 1902 William StevensonHamilton was appointed as its warden, gaining the Shingwedzi Game Reserve the following year. The two were combined to form the Kruger National Park in 1926, a process in which Stevenson-Hamilton played a vital part. As well as managing the land, Stevenson-Hamilton determinedly fought against poaching and shooting and aided in the opening up of the park to tourism. He died greatly respected in 1957.

ZA06 Pàirc Kruger
An dèidh don Dàrna Cogadh Sasannach-Boer crìochnachadh aig toiseach na ficheadaimh linn, fhuair Breatainn smachd air an àite a bha ainmichte goirid roimhe sin mar Tèarmann Ainmhidhean Sabi. San Iuchair 1902, chaidh Uilleam StevensonHamilton a chur an dreuchd mar mhaor ann, a’ faotainn Tèarmann Ainmhidhean Shingwedzi a’ bhliadhna às dèidh sin. Chaidh na dhà a chur còmhla fon ainm Pàirc Nàiseanta Kruger ann an 1926, pròiseas anns an robh Stevenson-Hamilton gu mòr a’ gabhail pàirt. A thuilleadh air a bhith a’ stiùireadh an fhearainn, bha Stevenson-Hamilton gu diongmhalta a’ sabaid an aghaidh poidseadh agus urchaireachd agus chuidich e leis a’ phàirc fhosgladh a-mach do thurasachd. Fhuair e mòrspèis agus bhàsaich e ann an 1957.