PSIL01 - Scots in Palestine/Israel
Stitchers: Marie Austin, Lorna Chapman, Maha Campbell, Jennifer Dunlop, Walter Dunlop, Kate Harris, Mary Godden, Elinor Gordon, Joan Musgrave, Dorothy Mackenzie, Margaret MacGregor, Katie MaNeill, Carol Morton, Marjorie Paten, Frances Rankin, Jean Rutherford, Vivienne Simpson, Dorothy Steel, Ailsa Yuille.
For more than 150 years, Scots have had a significant input into this region. In 1861, EMMS (the Edinburgh Medical Missionary Society) established a clinic, and later a hospital, in Nazareth. In 1863, Jane Walker Arnott, from Glasgow, founded Tabeetha School for girls in Jaffa. In 1880, Dr David Torrance built a hospital in Tiberias, by the Sea of Galilee. After WW1, St Andrew’s Scots Memorial in Jerusalem was dedicated in 1930 in memory of the many Scottish soldiers killed in Palestine. The foundation of the State of Israel in 1948 brought inevitable changes. The EMMS hospital (now the Nazareth Trust) works with the Israeli Health Service. The hospital in Tiberias became a Hospice, later a Hotel. St Andrew’s Jerusalem remains to serve pilgrims and the local Christian community. Tabeetha School now co-educational and international, has had a remarkable influence on pupils and staff.